Monday, March 21, 2011

Up and down and then up again

Today I tested the public transport from Sandford on Thames to Banbury! All for the sake of picking up my glasses and our post! So I caught the 106 bus (it was on time) which goes to Oxford Station. Then a train to Banbury (one stop). All went very smoothly!

Christchurch Meadow - the bus goes along St Aldates on the far side of the meadow

Glasses picked up - I can now see marginally better - I went to Hilliers Garden Centre for lunch. Sorry Wrens Nest, I didn't have time to call in - but I did see you! Our post lady met me at Hilliers - with a few envelopes and some home made raspberry jam!

Normally when we are cruising, our friends send our post to the nearest post office, post restante, for us to pick up when we get there. However being on the South Oxford for so long it has become a habit for us to meet up to exchange post! Soon we will have to go back to our "old ways". The same will apply to prescriptions - a request sent to my GP with a stamped addressed envelope to a pharmacy near where we plan to be in about a week or so. Once our website is up again you will be able to access my collection of pharmacies around the country!

A Salters trip boat - another way of getting in and around Oxford on the River Thames!

Shopping done, browsing done, I caught the train back to Oxford. It was slightly worrying that I recognised where I was on the train from spotting the canal - Banbury Tram moorings, Somerton Deep Lock, the old warehouses on the River section, Shipton Weir Lock, Thrupp (a mental wave to our friends moored there!), Kidlington, Enslow, moorings all the way into Oxford, and then Jericho.

Back on the bus - I kept an eye out for the end of the Hythe Arm, the River Cherwell and a glimpse of the Thames! Home again at last - the lock here at Sandford was full of water when I left but on my return it was empty again and some of the jacks removed. So it looks as if the new bottom gates work!

Three jars of lemon curd later (made by my fair hand on my return) and a meal, it is now time for a relax in front of the box! Tomorrow is the "up again" as we cruise upstream to Oxford!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comment on the blog, not on Facebook. If you don't want your comment published add "please do not publish". We reserve the right not to publish comments and will not publish Anonymous Posts.