Tuesday, July 17, 2007

My Travels Today In The Sun

Back by popular demand! I have only missed 3 days! Sunday was predicted to be wet, wet, wet! They were wrong - it was muggy, overcast and we only had a couple of showers. We have given up on weather forecasts as they seem to be about 0% accurate!

John suggested we resort to seaweed, pine cones or even a very revolutionary idea - get up in the morning and look out one of the portholes or the cratch window! Have you clicked on our web cam yet? That is the view south south east so we cannot check the weather coming from the West from there!

I had a work visit to Great Bedwyn today. I was given instructions as I said I didn't know it very well. Silly me as I drove in I realised that the pub landmarks I was given were very familiar! It is right on the Kennet and Avon canal - we moored there in June. See June 6th blog - Listings, pasties and Cornish Engines, explored the village and noted the pubs.The station is right by the canal. When we were there we only found the post office with a small selection of groceries. Today I drove past a village store we hadn't spotted on the High Street, the road out to Marlborough! There were a few narrowboats moored opposite the station.

Driving home to Devizes I took the "back roads" which mainly follow the canal. I saw signs to Crofton, crossed the canal on bridge 97 and then went away from the canal. (I could have gone via Crofton, as a road follows the canal to bridge 101, just below Sam Farmer Lock (58)). Burbage village is a way from Burbage wharf and my route bypassed the village. I also passed signs to Wottoon Rivers

As I neared Pewsey the canal is closer. My route did not take me to the wharf, but once I turned away from Pewsey I was travelling towards it again, crossing it at Wilcot over Wilcot Bridge (117). At Alton Barnes near Honey Street, the road continues parallel with canal which is mainly out of sight. It is fabulous countryside and the sun on the rolling hills was wonderful and really uplifting. I passed signs to All Cannings, a footpath to Stanton bridge (125), Woodway bridge (129).

As I approached Horton I spotted Dave, one of the Bath Narrowboat guys parking his car to go home to "Angels Payment" moored at bridge 132 Horton Chain Bridge. I tooted, he waved!
The road crosses the canal again at bridge 134 - to be taken slowly otherwise the car takes off. Here is the Bridge Inn, recommended for its food and friendliness. We call it our canal local as it is about a 20 minute cruise away. How is this for a well stocked bar?


So my next encounter with the canal was "Epiphany", moored in the marina!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comment on the blog, not on Facebook. If you don't want your comment published add "please do not publish". We reserve the right not to publish comments and will not publish Anonymous Posts.