Monday, July 14, 2008

Avoncliffe To Bathampton

2 hours 30 minutes, 5.51 miles, 2 swing bridges, average speed 2.20 lm/hr

The photos of our journey to Avoncliffe, including ones of the area around the aqueduct are now on our gallery. There is a bit missing from the gallery - the early part of our journey from Pewsey and I hope to upload them in the next day or so. It will then be an up to date record of our cruise so far and the rest of the week to come!

On Sunday morning we set off to Bathampton, over the Avoncliffe aqueduct.

A really early start for us - 7.30 am. Partly because we wanted to stop at Dundas basin to off load our recycling and partly because we wanted to make sure of a mooring at Bathampton so we could go to The George for lunch.

We moored at Dundas and by that time we were all up so it was time for a light breakfast! John and Carolyn had a quick wander around the basin area for some photographs and then we set off again.

It was a glorious sunny, warm morning and we "girls" sat in the bows chatting and the "boys" gossiped at the stern!

There were two swing bridges, Millbrook (179) and Bathampton (182). At the latter we met a convoy! Five boats to pass through before us!

The first crew pulled in to wait for the bridge opener and hoping for a quieter time let all the others and us through! They then shut it before a sixth boat a little behind could catch up. The woman on this boat was very disgruntled, but it was fair enough as they were not hurrying to catch up and the others had let five and us through!

Not long after this we spotted "Tarifa", also built by Bath Narrowboats as a live aboard wide boat, a while before they built Epiphany.

When we arrived at Bathampton we were able to moor at the end of the 24 hour moorings - away from the gongoozlers at the pub. The towpath here is extremely busy with walkers and cyclists, particularly at the weekend.

We enjoyed the garden next to our mooring!

We had a good meal at The George - Sundays is their busiest day, but we were able to get a table inside. The menu is very good and the specials include a cardiotherapeutic menu too! We then had a relaxing afternoon and were sad to say goodbye to John and Carolyn who were returning home from here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comment on the blog, not on Facebook. If you don't want your comment published add "please do not publish". We reserve the right not to publish comments and will not publish Anonymous Posts.